WHAT: U.S. Open Tournament Semifinal
WHEN: Saturday, February 22, 4:05 PM
WHERE: Grand Sports Arena, Hoffman Estates
Tournament bracket: http://goo.gl/vky8dL
How they got here:
Chicago began their quest for the U.S. Open championship back in December. A forfeit-victory over amatuer club Talents Of South Beach FC saw the Mustangs advance to the Round of 16. AAC Eagles provided a stiff challenge for the Mustangs, who came out on top 10-5. A quarterfinal matchup against the Wichita B-52′s ended with the same 10-5 result.
The Freeze entered the tournament in the Round of 16 with a 10-6 win over rival Cincinnati Saints. Cleveland defeated Harrisburg Heat 12-5 to earn their spot in the semifinals.
Chicago and Cleveland matched up twice during the PASL regular season with the Mustangs coming out on top both times. On December 13 the Mustangs took a 13-4 road victory over the Freeze. The second matchup happened on January 18 with Chicago winning 20-11 at Grand Sports Arena.
Freeze players to watch:
- Allen Eller, forward – 28 goals and 34 assists
- Stefan Ostergren, forward – 29 goals, 17 assists, 13 blocked shots
- Josh Grossman, defender – 24 goals, 12 assists, 5 blocked shots
- David Jordan, defender – 7 goals, 6 assists, 15 blocked shots
- Mike Mason, goalie – 7.98 GAA, .637 save%
Mustangs players to watch:
- Wilo Martinez, forward – 40 goals, 23 assists
- Bryan Moya, forward – 40 goals, 15 assists
- Miguel Vaca, midfielder – 35 goals, 19 assists
- Omar Santillian, defender – 14 goals, 6 assists, 9 blocked shots
- Jesus Flores, goalie – 5.19 GAA, .676 save%