Two new Professional Arena Soccer League (PASL) team scoring records were set on Saturday as Cleveland Freeze put the visiting Illinois Piasa on ice, winning 27-6. Five Freeze players recorded a hat trick with Alex Bernot scoring eight goals (one shy of the individual league record).
Cleveland scored quickly and often in the first half, scoring the first 15 goals of the game. Scoring 11 goals in the second quarter, the Freeze took a commanding 16-1 lead at halftime. The scoring continued in the second half as Cleveland outscored Illinois 11-5 for the final score of 27-6. Shot stats saw the Freeze put an incredible 53 shots at Piasa goalkeeper Adam Balbi, who made 20 saves in his season debut.
PASL records broken:
- Team Most Goals, Quarter: 11 (previous record was 9)
- Team Most Goals, Half: 16 (previous record was 15)
PASL records nearly broken:
- Team Most Goals, Game: 28 – Tijuana on 1/14/12
- Teams Most Goals, Combined: 35 – Tijuana def. Anaheim 28-7 on 1/14/12
- Ind. Most Goals, Game: 9 – Cesar Romero on 1/14/12 & 12/30/11
A 27-year old forward, Bernot played his collegiate soccer at NCAA Division III John Carroll University. He now has 15 goals in 10 league games this season.